Weddings and Honeymoons in Barbados
Barbados is an irresistible place to celebrate any special occasion, but a wedding or honeymoon here is simply unforgettable. Whether you are planning a grand formal soiree or an intimate gathering on a secluded beach there are few destinations as romantic or ideal for tying the knot. And with its sophisticated hotels and resorts, exquisite villas and cozy seaside cottages, not to mention glorious weather and tons to do (or not do as the case may be), Barbados has all of the necessary ingredients for a honeymoon that's just icing on the cake!
Couples wishing to wed in Barbados may do so as soon as a license is obtained. Here's what you must present in order to apply for a marriage license in Barbados:
- Valid passports
- Return airline tickets
- A notification letter from the Marriage Officer who will perform the ceremony. This should identify the church to which he/she belongs and be presented at the time of making the application.
- Original or certified copies of both your birth certificates and ID cards
- If either party is widowed, a certified copy of the marriage certificate and death certificate in respect of the deceased spouse will be required If either party is divorced, an original Decree Absolute or Final Judgement, (the Decree Nisi is NOT accepted) is required.
- If the Decree Absolute is in a language other than English, it must be accompanied by a certified translation.
Application for the license must be made in person by both the bride and groom, at the Ministry of Home Affairs office between 8:30am and 3:30pm, Monday to Friday. The office is located on the 5th floor of the General Post Office, Cheapside, Bridgetown.
- If neither the bride nor groom is a citizen or resident of Barbados, the license fee is US$100. This must be paid in cash and accompanied by a BDS$25.00 stamp (available from the post office downstairs). The certificate is an additional US$10.
- If either (or both) is a citizen of Barbados the fee is US$23 and a BDS$10 stamp is required.
- Separate fees are payable to the Court and to the Magistrate in respect of civil marriage ceremonies.
You can get a copy of your marriage certificate from the Registrar of the Supreme Court Registration Department, located at Coleridge Street, Bridgetown [+1 (246) 426-3461]. Applications must be made between the hours of 8.30 a.m. and 3.15 p.m.